This course is designed for those with little or no sailing experience who want to learn how to sail on larger more stable Keelboats. It can also serve as a refresher course for those who have not recently sailed. The 12 hour course covers boating safety, knots, rigging and sailing theory. On the water skills such as docking, man overboard recovery, and sail trim will be taught on the Holder 20 Keelboats. The skills learned in this class are similar to those learned in the Basic Sailing class. The main difference is that the keelboat (Holder 20) is a larger, more stable boat, able to hold more people and much less likely to capsize than the dinghies. There is no capsizing drill required for this class. Upon successful completion of this course graduates will be eligible to rent the Holder 20 and join the Sacramento State Aquatic Center Sailing Membership. This class follows the guidelines set by US Sailing.
Our Basic Keelboat Sailing class is taught in our Holder 20 sailboat which requires two people to be in the boat to sail. Because of this and the COVID-19 regulations we are requiring registrants to be two people from the same household/cohort. Participants cannot register as an individual, they must register as a pair.
The book used for this course if the Basic Keelboat book (IBSN: 978-1938915062). The book is included in the cost of the class. Picking up your book early is recommended but not required.
Length: 12 Hours
Minimum Enrollment: 3
Maximum Enrollment: 6
Minimum Age Requirement: 12
Sac State Students: $280 (for two people)
Affiliates: $320 (for two people)
General Public: $350 (for two people)
What to Expect
- You will get wet! Bring a towel
- You should wear clothes that are comfortable and can get wet
- Shoes should either be tennis shoes or sandals with a heel strap
- NO FLIP FLOPS
- The Front Office staff can hold your keys during class.
- Any other personal belongings can be stored in our $0.50 one-time use locker
COVID Regulations & Safety Plan
- Arrive on time (neither early nor late)
- Parking will be in our outer parking lot. You will be greeted by our safety compliance monitor at the “North” gate and you will give your name, class and time. They will give you a squirt of hand sanitizer and ask if you have your towel, water bottle and are ready for your class.
- Check in at the Front Desk, turn in your participant waiver and COVID waiver. The front office staff will direct you to your class meeting location.
- Face coverings must be worn on the facility at all times. Once on the water please remove your face covering but keep close so that you can put back on when you return to the docks.
- Practice social distancing and maintain a 6 foot distance while on the facility.
- Restrooms will be available to use at your own risk. There is no more than 3 people in the restroom at any time.
- Guests and non-paying family members are not allowed to be at the facility.
- Use of the Aquatic Center is at your own risk.
- Be on a mission to arrive, attend your class, cleanup and depart for your next destination.
- If you are sick, feel sick, or have a fever, you many not enter the facility
- Individuals classified by the CDC as “at risk” should consider not coming to the facility.
2021 Basic Keelboat Sailing Class
|Section||Start Date||End Date||Days||Time|
|KEEL01||Mar 8||Mar 11||Mon – Th||3:00 PM – 6:00 PM|
|KEEL02||Mar 20||Mar 28||Sat & Sun||12:00 PM – 3:00 PM|
|KEEL03||Apr 5||Apr 8||Mon – Th||4:30 PM – 7:30 PM|
|KEEL04||Apr 26||Apr 29||Mon – Th||4:30 PM – 7:30 PM|
More class dates to come for 2021 as COVID restrictions ease.