This course is designed to introduce the beginning paddler to the three most widely used recreational kayaks, correct paddling techniques, navigation and safety on Lake Natoma. The first day instruction will start with sit on top Kayaks, then move to a more technical boat called the surf ski. The second day will incorporate all of the skills in a Viking touring boat. Our ACA certified instructors create a friendly, welcoming environment for all participants regardless of age, ability or skill. Once you have completed this course, you are eligible to rent any equipment in which you have shown competence through this course.
Length: 6 Hours
Minimum Enrollment: 3
Maximum Enrollment: 6
Minimum Age Requirement: 12
Sac State Students: $70
General Public: $95
What to Expect
- A swim test is required.
- You will get wet! Bring a towel.
- You should wear clothes that are comfortable and can get wet.
- Most appropriate shoes are tennis shoes.
- NO FLIP FLOPS!
- The Front Office staff can hold your keys during class.
- Any other personal belongings may be stored in a $0.50 one-time use locker. (Takes 2 quarters)
- Expect to arrive at least 15 minutes early to complete the registration and check-in process.
COVID Regulations & Safety Plan
- Arrive on time (neither early nor late)
- Parking will be in our outer parking lot. You will be greeted by our safety compliance monitor at the “North” gate and you will give your name, class and time. They will give you a squirt of hand sanitizer and ask if you have your towel, water bottle and are ready for your class.
- Check in at the Front Desk, turn in your participant waiver and COVID waiver. The front office staff will direct you to your class meeting location.
- Face coverings must be worn on the facility at all times. Once on the water please remove your face covering but keep close so that you can put back on when you return to the docks.
- Practice social distancing and maintain a 6 foot distance while on the facility.
- Restrooms will be available to use at your own risk. There is no more than 3 people in the restroom at any time.
- Guests and non-paying family members are not allowed to be at the facility.
- Use of the Aquatic Center is at your own risk.
- Be on a mission to arrive, attend your class, cleanup and depart for your next destination.
- If you are sick, feel sick, or have a fever, you many not enter the facility
- Individuals classified by the CDC as “at risk” should consider not coming to the facility.
2021 Basic Kayaking Class Schedule
|Section||Start Date||End Date||Days||Time|
|KAYAK01||Apr 15||Apr 16||Th & Fr||4:30 PM – 7:30 PM|
|KAYAK02||Apr 17||Apr 18||Sa & Su||1:00 PM – 4:00 PM|
|KAYAK03||May 6||May 7||Thurs & Fri||5:00 PM – 8:00 PM|
|KAYAK04||May 11||May 12||Tu & Wed||5:00 PM – 8:00 PM|
|KAYAK05||May 22||May 23||Sa & Su||12:00 PM – 3:00 PM|
More classes for 2021 will be schedule as COVID restrictions ease.
Registration opens March 1, 2021