This course is designed for the beginning/novice rower to learn in a single rowing shell with two oars. It teaches safety, boat control, proper care of equipment, and correct rowing technique. Students will row in open water type rowing shells designed for a single person. Successful completion of this course and demonstration of basic skills enables students to rent shells for recreational use and/or join one of the competitive rowing programs offered by the Sacramento State Aquatic Center.
Length: 8 Hours
Minimum Enrollment: 3
Maximum Enrollment: 4
Minimum Age Requirement: 18
Sac State Students: $95
General Public: $130
What to Expect
- A swim test is required.
- You will get wet! Bring a towel.
- You should wear clothes that are comfortable and can get wet. We recommend form fitting work out clothing, nothing loose.
- Most appropriate shoes are tennis shoes.
- NO FLIP FLOPS!
- The Front Office staff can hold your keys during class.
- Any other personal belongings may be stored in a $0.50 one-time use locker. (Takes 2 quarters)
COVID Regulations & Safety Plan
- Arrive on time (neither early nor late)
- Parking will be in our outer parking lot. You will be greeted by our safety compliance monitor at the “North” gate and you will give your name, class and time. They will give you a squirt of hand sanitizer and ask if you have your towel, water bottle and are ready for your class.
- Check in at the Front Desk, turn in your participant waiver and COVID waiver. The front office staff will direct you to your class meeting location.
- Face coverings must be worn on the facility at all times. Once on the water please remove your face covering but keep close so that you can put back on when you return to the docks.
- Practice social distancing and maintain a 6 foot distance while on the facility.
- Restrooms will be available to use at your own risk. There is no more than 3 people in the restroom at any time.
- Guests and non-paying family members are not allowed to be at the facility.
- Use of the Aquatic Center is at your own risk.
- Be on a mission to arrive, attend your class, cleanup and depart for your next destination.
- If you are sick, feel sick, or have a fever, you many not enter the facility
- Individuals classified by the CDC as “at risk” should consider not coming to the facility.
2021 Basic Rowing (Sculling) Class Schedule
|Section||Start Date||End Date||Days||Time|
|BROW01||Mar 15||Mar 18||Mon – Th||5:30 PM – 7:30 PM|
|BROW02||Mar 29||Apr 1||Mon – Th||5:30 PM – 7:30 PM|
|BROW03||Apr 12||Apr 15||Mon – Th||5:30 PM – 7:30 PM|
|BROW04||May 17||May 20||Mon – Th||6:00 PM – 8:00 PM|
|BROW05||May 24||May 27||Mon – Th||5:30 PM – 7:30 PM|
|BROW06||June 7||June 10||Mon – Th||6:00 PM – 8:00 PM|
More 2021 classes to come as restrictions ease.