This course is designed to introduce the beginning paddler to the three most widely used recreational kayaks, correct paddling techniques, navigation and safety on Lake Natoma. The first day instruction will start with sit on top Kayaks, then move to a more technical boat called the surf ski. The second day will incorporate all of the skills in a Viking touring boat. Our ACA certified instructors create a friendly, welcoming environment for all participants regardless of age, ability or skill. Once you have completed this course, you are eligible to rent any equipment in which you have shown competence through this course.
The book used for this course if the Learn Sailing Right Beginning Sailing book (IBSN: 978-0-979467-2-1). The book is included in the cost of the class. Picking up your book early is recommended but not required.
Length: 6 hours
Minimum Enrollment: 4
Maximum Enrollment: 6
Minimum Age Requirement: 12
Sac State Students: $70
General Public: $95
What to Expect
- You will get wet! Bring a towel
- You should wear clothes that are comfortable and can get wet
- Shoes should either be tennis shoes or sandals with a heel strap
- NO FLIP FLOPS
- The Front Office staff can hold your keys during class.
- Any other personal belongings can be stored in our $0.50 one-time use locker; which takes two quarters.
COVID Regulations & Safety Plan
- Arrive on time (neither early nor late)
- Parking will be in our outer parking lot. You will be greeted by our safety compliance monitor at the “North” gate and you will give your name, class and time. They will give you a squirt of hand sanitizer and ask if you have your towel, water bottle and are ready for your class.
- Check in at the Front Desk, turn in your participant waiver and COVID waiver. The front office staff will direct you to your class meeting location.
- Face coverings must be worn on the facility at all times. Once on the water please remove your face covering but keep close so that you can put back on when you return to the docks.
- Practice social distancing and maintain a 6 foot distance while on the facility.
- Restrooms will be available to use at your own risk. There is no more than 3 people in the restroom at any time.
- Guests and non-paying family members are not allowed to be at the facility.
- Use of the Aquatic Center is at your own risk.
- Be on a mission to arrive, attend your class, cleanup and depart for your next destination.
- If you are sick, feel sick, or have a fever, you many not enter the facility
- Individuals classified by the CDC as “at risk” should consider not coming to the facility.
2020 COVID Basic Sailing Class Schedule
|CKAYAK1||Oct 10||Oct 11||Sat & Sun||1:00 PM – 4:00 PM|
|CKAYAK2||Oct 17||Oct 18||Sat & Sun||1:00 PM – 4:00 PM|
|CKAYAK3||Oct 24||Oct 25||Sat & Sun||1:00 PM – 4:00 PM|